MUNDAKA, Spain (Thursday, Oct. 4, 2007) – Current World No. 2 Taj Burrow (AUS) and 3X World Champion Andy Irons (currently rated 5th on the Foster's ASP World Tour) will not surf their Round 2 Billabong Pro Mundaka heats today. Neither will the other 30 surfers relegated to the first elimination round.
Surfers and staff checked in five separate times between 8am and 4:30pm today, but conditions consistent enough to run Round 2 never materialized. Another call on competition status will be made tomorrow morning at 7:30am.
Reigning World Champion Kelly Slater (USA) won his eighth Foster's ASP World Tour title in Mundaka last year, and current World No. 1 Mick Fanning (AUS) is mathematically capable of doing the same this year.
The following are 2007 Foster's ASP World Title clinching scenarios, prepared courtesy of ASP Tour Manager Renato Hickel:
• If Fanning wins the Billabong Pro Mundaka, Slater and Burrow need to post equal 3rd or better results to keep their world title hopes alive. Should Fanning win the event, with Burrow and Slater failing to earn Semifinal berths, Fanning will win his maiden World Title.
• If Fanning finishes 2nd, Burrow needs a 9th, Slater a 5th and Joel Parkinson and Irons a 1st for the race to continue to Brazil and beyond.
• If Fanning finishes 3rd or less, the race will continue as Burrow and Slater only need 33rds. Parkinson and Irons would need a 2nd and 3rd respectively to remain in contention.
• If Fanning finishes 5th, Parkinson needs a 3rd and Irons a 5th. Slater and Burrow remain in contention.
• If Fanning finishes 9th, Parkinson needs a 33rd and Andy a 9th. Slater and Burrow remain in contention.
• If Fanning gets a 17th, both Parkinson and Irons are off to Brazil with a chance. Slater and Burrow remain in contention.
ROUND 2 BILLABONG PRO MUNDAKA HEAT MATCH-UPS:
Heat 1Taj Burrow (AUS) vs. Manoa Drollet (PYF)
Heat 2: Andy Irons (HAW) vs. Hodei Collazo (EUK)
Heat 3: Pancho Sullivan (HAW vs. Tiago Pires (PRT)
Heat 4: Dean Morrison (AUS) vs. Gabe Kling (USA)
Heat 5: Taylor Knox (USA) vs. Tem Reyes (USA)
Heat 6: Tom Whitaker (AUS) vs. Mark Occhilupo (AUS)
Heat 7: Daniel Wills (AUS) vs. Luke Munro (AUS)
Heat 8: C.J. Hobgood (USA) vs. Michael Lowe (AUS)
Heat 9: Chris Ward (USA) vs. Shaun Cansdell (AUS)
Heat 10: Bruce Irons (HAW) vs. Victor Ribas (BRA)
Heat 11: Kai Otton (AUS) vs. Neco Padaratz (BRA)
Heat 12: Fredrick Patacchia (HAW) vs. Leonardo Neves (BRA)
Heat 13: Ben Dunn (AUS) vs. Bernardo Miranda (BRA)
Heat 14: Cory Lopez (USA) vs. Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA)
Heat 15: Greg Emslie (ZAF) vs. Troy Brooks (AUS)
Heat 16: Ricky Basnett (ZAF) vs. Raoni Monteiro (BRA)