PHIL RAJZMAN CLAIMS BRAZILS FIRST EVER ASP INTERNATIONAL WORLD TITLE

ANGLET, France (Sun., May 5, 2007) – Phil Rajzman is the new Association of Surfing Professionals (ASP) Intenational Men's World Longboarding Champion following his convincing victory in the Oxbow Pro World Longboard Championship held at les Cavaliers, Anglet this afternoon.

In defeating fellow countrymen Danilo Rodrigo in the final 15.00 to 12.30, Rajzman also made professional surfing history by becoming Brazil's first ever ASP International World Champion. That is a stunning statistic considering the long and successful history Brazilian surfers have had in professional surfing.

"I am so proud right now," said Rajzman just after his victory. "To be the first ever Brazilian surfing world champion is something pretty special. This is my best ever result and to do it here in France at an Oxbow event is amazing."

After his victory Rajzman acknowledged two important people in his life.

"I had a baby daughter only two months ago so I think she helped send the waves I needed to become world champion." Rajzman said. "Also to have Alex "Picaruta" Salazar on the beach, who is like my master and who gave me so much strength and support was incredible."

Salazar, the father figure in Brazilian surfing who has been runner up to the world title a record three times, competed in this event and also played a huge role in the other finalist Rodrigo's life.

"Picaruta is like a father to me," said Rodrigo. "He practically bought me up and taught me everything I know about surfing. I surfed for him today as well, but like him I also came second. Still, I am very proud of my result and am happy there is now a world champion from Brazil."

Rajzman had been one of the form surfers of the entire event and again dominated the final. His highest scoring wave, an eight-point ride, featured some huge modern top turns followed by a radical toes-on-the-nose spinning "helicopter".

"Phil really deserves it," said Nat Young, the four-time world longboard champ and patron of the Oxbow Pro World Longboard Championship. "He surfed so strong and is such a young guy and of course the Brazilians are a real force in longboarding now, which is great to see."

Earlier in the day Rajzman has defeated Carlos Bahia (BRA) in the first semi final, while in the other semi, Rodrigo had overcome the only former world champion still left in the event, Bonga Perkins (HAW). That set up the all-Brazilian final and guaranteed that surfing history would be made.

"The support from Brazil, both here at the event and from emails and phone calls from back home has been incredible," said Rajzman. "This means a lot to the people back home, and, of course, to me. I think we will all have a big party when I return home."

After the way he surfed in the event, the 2007 ASP International Men's Longboard World Champion deserves one. For more information go to www.oxboworld.com

Results
Final
Phil Rajzman (BRA) 15.00 d Rodrigo Danilo (BRA) 12.30
Semi finals
S1: Phil Rajzman (BRA) 15.00 d Roger "Carlos" Bahia (BRA) 13.75
S2: Rodrigo Danilo (BRA) 14.85 d Bonga Perkins (HAW) 12.00
Quarterfinals
QF3: Bonga Perkins (HAW) 11.60 d Jackson Close (AUS) 8.40
QF4: Danilo Rodrigo (HAW) 14.75 d Harvey Ingleby (AUS) 14.00

No comments:

Pageviews